Total Pageviews

Sunday 1 September 2013

Paper Aeroplanes



Paper Aeroplanes 
 Little Letters
+

when this album arrived through the post; so was intrigued to find that they weren’t an Indie Band as I’d first presumed. They are in fact, a Welsh boy/girl duo – Richard Llewellyn and Sarah Howells who have been treading the boards since 2009.
When the Windows Shook opens the album with a soft blast of Indie inspired soft-rock; featuring Sarah’s silky smooth voice recounting the heartrending story of Milford Haven on the South Welsh Coast and the scars that a number of industrial tragedies have affected the community over her lifetime. It took a couple of listens to get the gist; but once I did the song becomes outstanding and will stick in my memory for a long, long time.
When I’d listened to the title track, Little Letters for the fourth or fifth time it dawned on me who Sarah Howells reminds me of – Stevie Nicks! She has a very similar voice and her phrasing is just as dramatic, making the mundane sound extraordinary. That’s not meant in any way as a criticism; it’s just how her voice sounds to me

No comments:

Post a Comment