Total Pageviews

Monday 11 June 2012

Lady Ga Ga

Lady Gaga
Download took some time out of a weekend concert in New Zealand to address critics who "make a mockery of" her work. Though she didn't call out Madonna by name, the rest of her comments seem to point directly at the "Vogue" artist.

Midway through a piano-based rendition of her song "Hair," Gaga said, "It sometimes makes people feel better about themselves to put other people down or make fun of them or maybe make mockery of their work. And that doesn't make me feel good at all. That just makes me feel like I'm not being a good human being. I feel like if you're a really good human being, you can try to find something beautiful in every single person, no matter what."
Later in the speech, she goes on to say that she declines to be negative and asks her fans to do the same. "I don't even want to fight back because it's more important to me to keep writing music. Because that's really all I care about, is the music... things are really different than they were 25 years ago, and that's what makes 'Born this Way' so relevant for me. We're socially in a different place and it's OK, we don't have to all slice and hate each other anymore."

During the kickoff of her "MDNA" world tour in Tel Aviv last month, Madonna performed a mash-up of Gaga's 2010 anthem "Born This Way," with her own songs "Express Yourself," drawing attention to the similar chord progressions in the songs, yet again.

Madonna, who has previously branded the star "obsessed" with her, told the crowd during the mash-up: "She's not me!"

The recent mash-up was one of a few jabs aimed at Gaga, who came under fire last year when her melody for "Born this Way" was deemed too close to Madonna's 1989 hit "Express Yourself."Billboard

In an interview on Nightline in January Madonna said, "I thought, what a wonderful way to redo my song. I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was… interesting."

Gaga dismissed the accusations in an interview with NME in April; saying that claims that the song was based on Madonna's track were "retarded."

The younger pop star seemed to address the latest jabs during the performance in Auckland, New Zealand in a speech to the audience when she bluntly stated, "You could never invalidate the power of 'Born This Way.' I don't want to be your f**king queen, I want to be your friend."

Gaga has had a bit of bad luck on tour, reportedly suffering a concussion at Sunday's Auckland concert. Madonna on the other hand, has taken to flashing her nipples at the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment